Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, July 26, 2003 Giant Stadium, Sec 312, Row 29
I've seen Springsteen several times in the past starting in 1984. But never have I seen him on the hollowed grounds of his home town. The excitement level was elevated, the expectations were high.
This was an eerie scene for me. It was the first time I was back in the area since 9/11.
When I worked in the area, I always looked for the Twin Towers during my commute. I knew when it would emerge on the horizon. Some days it took longer to become visible due to weather conditions. But it was always there. But not on this day.
Everyone was juiced during the tailgating of several hours. Music was pumping, drinks were flowing and all I could do is look over the Hudson where the Twin Towers once stood.
Our seats were around the 50 yard line. A zillion rows up, or a few rows from the top. I was disappointed the entire end zone area behind the stage was empty (closed off). This was one of 10 sold out shows at Giant Stadium. I guess the stage configuration made it necessary to close off an entire section of the stadium.
The band came on stage during the daylight. The light show was not in play yet. I expected the band to be on their "A" game due to the fact they were in their hometown. But they seemed rushed to start the show and rushed to get through it.
The sound was horrible. It took several verses sometimes to figure out what song they were playing.
The crowd was rooting for a tour record 29 songs as Bruce led us all to believe this Saturday night show was special. We only got 23. We were wondering why Saturday night got the shortest show of the stretch. Perhaps the band was saving up for tomorrow night's July finale?
One the 10 show homestand, "Rosie" was 6 for 6 so far. Tenth Avenue as a highlight and Adam kicked things off.
Setlist: Adam Raised a Cain/The Rising/Lonesome Day/The Ties That Bind/Atlantic City/Empty Sky/Waitin' on a Sunny Day/Darlington County/Worlds Apart/Badlands/Two Hearts/No Surrender/Mary's Place/My Hometown/Into the Fire/The Promised Land
First Encore: Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out/Glory Days/Born to Run
Second Encore: My City of Ruins/Land of Hope and Dreams/Rosalita/Dancing in the Dark
No comments:
Post a Comment