Pittsburgh Pirates at Los Angeles Dodgers, July 2, 1989Dodger Stadium, Sec 106 Box A
My first time in Dodger Stadium. Unfortunately, I don't think I appreciated the moment.
I was now a Bostonian, and I reeked an aura of superiority, like all Bostonians.
I was now better then everyone else. I had Fenway Park in my hometown.
That changed shortly afterward when I was back to being a miserable Philadelphian with a perpetual sense of inferiority and a crappy baseball stadium. But back to this day.
It was a beautiful summer day. A 1PM game. The Pirates were a decent team, but not a draw by themselves on the west coast. Still over 40,000 were on hand. We were seated between home plate and 1st base. My buddy "guaranteed" we would catch a foul ball. Being I have already, up to this point in my life, been to at least a hundred Major League games and never sniffed a foul ball, I was excited. And they started flying. At games end my friend counted 17 alone in our section. Close, but no cigar.
John Tudor took the mound for the Dodgers with Doug Drabek pitching for Pittsburgh.
The game was scoreless until the top of the 4th when Pittsburgh's Andy Van Slyke drove in Glenn Wilson.
Jose Gonzalez homered for the Dodgers in the 5th with Jeff Hamilton on board giving Blue a 2-1 lead. Gonzalez drove in another in the 6th.
The Pirates scored another with a young pinch hitting Barry Bonds at the plate in the 9th....on a passed ball when Wilson was on 3rd. No RBI in that ruling.
Dodger reliever Jay Howell struck out the final two batter to end the ball game for his 15th save of the season. John Wetteland was credited with the win with Drabek getting the loss.
Kirk Gibson was hitless, Eddie Muarry went 3 for 4 and Delaware Country native and future Angels skipper Mike Scioscia caught for the Dodgers.
No comments:
Post a Comment