Wednesday

Pop of the Mitt

Milwaukee Brewers v Boston Red Sox, July 30, 1988

Fenway Park, Sec 51 Left, Row F


An audible was called late and a decision was made to go to this game. My girlfriend flew out of town for the weekend. I'm dateless for the weekend. So I decide to venture out on my own and jump on the T and go to Fenway with no ticket.

I ask the first scalper who produced 2 in the bleacher. I told him reluctantly I only need 1. To his amazement, I don't think he has ever seen a guy by himself with no friends at a baseball game. He reaches into his secret stash of tickets for unpopular guys and pulled out one on the 3rd base side. Much closer than the bleachers.

I went inside, bought a program and settled in under the shade on this hot day. Shortly after, an old guy approached me and asked if I was alone. Of course, I think he is poking fun at me because I am the only guy in the ballpark with no friends. He went on to say he had a heart condition and asked if I would swap tickets with him so he could sit in the shade. I had nothing to lose so I make the swap seat location unknown.

I make my way in search of my new seat location. An usher asked for my ticket and proceeds to take me lower and lower. Right near the wall at the on deck circle. Field level.
Not only am I practically on the field but Fenway has next to no foul territory.

Roger Clemens steps on the mound and starts firing. Not only are you close enough to see stitches, but you also hear the pop of the catchers and pitchers glove every time a ball hits it. And see the dirt fly off the catchers mitt. The Brewer in the on deck circle stood immediately in front of me.

The game got started off with Clemens striking out both Paul Moliter and Robin Yount in the Top of the 1st. And 2 more Ks in the Top of the 2nd. Jim Rice led off the scoring with a home run in the Bottom of the 2nd with a shot over the Green Monster near the foul pole.

Clemens kept the Brew Crew off the board until the Top of the 5th when BJ Surhoff tagged him for a 2 run homer. The game went into the Top of the 9th tied at 2. With 2 men on Marty Barrett singled in the winning run for a Sox victory.

Both starters pitched complete games. Clemens finished with Teddy Higura getting the loss.

Based on the attendance of 33,964, it appears there was at least one other guy in the stands going solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment