Friday

Bob Marley and the Hartford Whalers Are No Longer With Us

The Wailers, July 16, 1997

Innsbrook Pavilion, Richmond, VA , GA

I don't fancy myself a huge Bob Marley fan. I appreciate the music. I don't smoke pot so I never had a Jamaican flag hanging in my bedroom.

But I go see the Wailers at a small pavilion. Before the show I watch a skinny white guy in a t shirt conduct several sound checks on the lead singer's mic. He did this for like 10 minutes. Like all roadies do before concerts. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Soon, the guy comes out again, checks the mic. Leaves. So the MC comes out to introduce the band and this skinny white guy is still hovering near the lead singer's mic. This is definalty uncool because the roadies have to be out of sight when the band comes on. But skinny white guy is still hanging out near the front of the stage.

The band comes out, all black guys. They are the Wailers, so everyone knows they are black.
The first song is cued and the guys start jamming. I'm looking to the side of the stage waiting for the Bob Marley look alike to emerge. Still, skinny white roadie guys is not leaving the stage. Do I alert security?

And THEN.......skinny white roadie guy starts singing. JUST LIKE BOB MARLEY!!! Who knew?? I was shocked. It was like watching an interview on TV with a black guy who has a real proper English accent. Nothing wrong with it. Just bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment