Tuesday

Let's Play Two!

New York Mets v New York Yankees, July 8, 2000 (7:30pm)

Yankee Stadium, BCLH


Who doesn't remember this one? The one where Roger Clemens lasered Mike Piazza in the logo of his helmet to lead off the 2nd? Who didn't see that? This was Round 1 in what would brew up to the World Series that October when the same two teams would meet.

Me. I didn't see it. I was in the pisser. I didn't see the replay until the next day. By the time I leisurely strolled back to my seats the fireworks were over. Piazza was knocked out of the game.

Luckily I didn't have to leak in the 5th when the Mets already had a 2-0 lead. With Dave Justice and Shane Spencer on base, Scott Brosius knocked in one. Chuck Knoblauch hit a homer to left scoring Spencer. Yanks up 4-2. And it would remain that way when Mariano Duncan entered the game in the bottom of the 9th for no runs and no hits. And a save.

Clemens went a 7 1/3rd giving up 7 hits and earning the win.

I just paid a grand total of $13 to watch 2 Major League Baseball games in New York against the two New York teams on a much hyped historic day for baseball. And I sat in no traffic.
A combined 109,986 attended both games. How many others paid only $13 to see two games that day?

I couldn't even make up a story like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment