Wednesday

High Fallutin

PGA Tour, July 9, 1987

Kingsmill, Williamsburg


My first taste of the real world. A buddy just graduated college ( a year before I) and went to work at a huge computer company. Dark suits, red ties. And he had access to a condo on one of the greens where the sales guys entertained clients.

Free tickets, free food, free booze. And PGA golf.

Kingsmill used to be held the week before the British Open. Many of the big names used the weekend to rest for their trip oversees. This was Curtis Strange's home course, so he was always there.

It was my first experience standing next to the big boys who crank out 300 yard drives or who could lay up 3 feet from the hole from 140 yards out.

Mark McCumber won this year's event with a 267 (17 under).

Kingsmill, ironically, became the only course where I won a golf trophy years later. And I did it on the "river" course. A course that normally common folk do not have access to.

No comments:

Post a Comment