Thursday

More March Frenzy

Atlantic 10 Tournament, March 4, 1990

The Palestra, Sec 209 Row 5


I was back in Philadelphia and excited about getting back to the Palestra. A place where I spent many Saturdays watching Big 5 games as a kid.

I was awestruck being back in the old barn where I used to run up and down the aisles and around the concourse not too many years prior. But I was somewhat disappointed that the place wasn't sold out. It was an early round of the tournament. The A-10 at this time played all of the tournament games at the Palestra then played the championship game on campus of the highest ranked team.

Philadelphia is a pro town. There has to be a compelling reason for folks to support college teams. A Temple game in the A-10 tourney apparently isn't one of them.

We were there for the Temple v Dusquesne game plus the Rhode Island v Rutgers games. There was an early afternoon session as well, but I did not attend that session.

#1 seed Temple defeated Dusquesne 61-50. Rutgers beat URI by one point, 80-79.

The finals ended up being a classic A-10 matchup between John Chaney's Owls and John Calipari's Minutemen from UMass. Temple won the championship on campus at McGonigle Hall 53-51 a few nights later.

No comments:

Post a Comment