Jim Stewart 400, May 5, 2007
Richmond International Raceway, Section Henrico, Row F
Richmond has run every schedule (Winston and Sprint) race (2 per year) under the lights since 1999. This year another popular night time race was scheduled.
It rained most of the day and monitoring weather reports didn't look promising. We had a RV with satellite TV hookup so we were able to eat, drink and watch sports all day while remaining dry. I typically tried to get to the track around 10 AM for the 7PM race. Constantly changing traffic patterns and parking irregularities are starting to change that.
It was a full day of good friends, great beer, Cuban cigars and the hopes of 400 laps.
There was a break in the sky leading up to the start of the race. The pre-race pageantry got off and the cars began to circle the track for 13 laps under the yellow. The race was postponed until the next afternoon and NASCAR decided to re-run the entire 400 laps.
I decided to stay home. I think I gave my tickets to my son and one of his friends. I didn't think I could handle another day of drinking and smoking cigars not to mention a condensed window to get 110,000 fans into the area before 1 PM. In one of the opening scenes of the Paul Newman 1977 classic Slapshot, where Shirley Upton says to Lily Braden in the stands; "Johnny always says you can just drink so much and screw so much".

No comments:
Post a Comment