Cleveland Indians v New York Yankees, August 15, 1987Yankee Stadium, Box 469 Row C
On a train ride from Westchester County that afternoon I st next to Eddie Layton, the Yanks legendary organ player. He had a brief case with a Yankees logo and his name on it. The novice I was, I asked who he was. He was very cordial and said he hoped I enjoyed my first trip to The Stadium.
We hooked up with a friend of a friend who had a huge LTD sedan. He was the son of a NYPD police captain. As we approached the stadium he turn onto the walkway along side the stadium. A cop ran over to stop him until he recognized his face. We passed a few more officers. One lead us to a makeshift spot and directed us in with the bumper of the car up against the wall of the stadium. A few officers rushed to the car to say hello to the kid and assured us the car would be safe tonight.
This was pre Rudy Giuliani New York City when the Bronx were not a good place for white boys to be at night. I remember entering in the legendary stadium and seeing real grass on a major league field for only the second time in my life. The place was more modern then I expected.
Pat Tabler got the Tribe off to an early lead with an RBI single scoring Tommy Hinzo. It didn't take long for the Bombers to get things going. In the 2nd Dan Pasqua and Joel Skinner drove in runs.
There were fireworks in the 3rd for the home team. Don Mattingley led off the inning with a home run to right center. With Dave Winfield on with a single, Medford, MA native Mike Pagliarulo hit one over the fence off Ken Schrom. Schrom was given the hook and Jamie Easler came in from the bullpen.
The Tribe got one back in the 5th off a sacrifice squeeze from Brett Butler.
The bottom of the 7th things exploded for the Bombers. Mattingly, Winfield, Pags, Gary Ward and Joel Skinner all knocked runners for combined 6 run inning. Lou Pinella's Yanks went on to beat Cleveland in front of 38,930 at The Stadium.
No comments:
Post a Comment