Villanova v Virginia, January 17, 1987 University Hall, Sec B Row 4
I had a girlfriend at UVA who knew I was a big Villanova game. She scored 2 tickets behind the Villanova bench for me.
This was a CBS national game. Back in those days CBS was a premier network for college sports.
Andrew Kennedy scored 15 of his game-high 23 points in the first half as Virginia built a 13-point intermission lead. Virginia (10-4) converted 13 consecutive free throws in the late stages of the game. It was the worst of the season for Villanova (10-6).
I was with my college roomate. I happened to have a CBS sports hat as my sister in law worked for them. I wore purely by coincidence. Towards the end of the game we began eyeing a CBS Sports banner hanging above us. We plotted on how that banner was going to end up in our living room.
Towards the end of the blowout, he took my hat and we walked up to where the banner was hanging. He looked like part of the production crew. He patiently untied the banner in front of thousands of fans. He slowly rolled it up and tucked it under his arm. A few students yelled at us. We just flipped them off and walked out of the arena.
Virginia blew out Villanova 88 to 59.
No comments:
Post a Comment