Wednesday

I Love LA

New York Rangers v Los Angeles Kings, January 27, 1990

Great Western Forum, Section 9 Row 2


Kelly Hrudey parked next to us while we were slugging a few hours before the game. Being in LA we took off early to beat traffic. And there was no traffic in the area. So we had time to kill. And Inglewood is not an area you want to walk to a bar to kill a few hours.

Seeing so much of the Forum on TV I have to say I was underwhelmed when I walked inside. It was a one tier building with the upper seating a mile from the ice surface. The concourse had linoleum tiling. But it was new to me. We got to watch warm-ups along the glass. This may have been the first time I saw The Great One in person. He was always a Smythe Division guy and I always lived in Patrick and Adams cities. So he only popped in town once a year or so.

There was energy in the building from the drop of the puck. New York teams always draw well regardless of where you are. And Gretzky was still a novelty in LA.

The home Kings got their only goal of the game off of Wayne Gretzky. The place went nuts while the PA played Randy Newman's I Love LA.

The Rangers went on to win 3-1.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete