![]() |
| 1984 Olympic 800 Finals |
Franklin Field, GA
Unsure how I have a ticket stub for this. I was coaching a high school this year and we had a 4:08 miler running this day.
A brilliant 1984 meet that saw four national collegiate and 17 meet records fall.
A sidebar to the Penn Relays. Since 1984 was an Olympic year, the Penn Relays was amped up. Later this summer I was sitting with my dad watching the 1984 Mens 800 Finals. A few years prior our team got to practice with legendary college coach Fred Hardy at the University of Richmond. Two of his runners at the time were Edwin Koech and Sos Bitok from Kenya. We got to train with some of Coach Hardy's runners from time to time.
I was watching the LA Olympics with my dad in our living room not far from Franklin Field and the field is announced with Edwin Koech running in the 800 Finals. I told my dad I knew that guy. He didn't believe me. Koech actually was within medal contention until the final kick of the 800 Finals.
During the same Games, Kenya's Sosthenes Bitok finished 6th in the 10,000.

No comments:
Post a Comment