| My Sports Bar 2010 |
Fenway Park, Section 41 Row 31
The whole inspiration for this blog comes from this game.
A few years back I decided to pull all of my sports memorabilia and build a sports bar in my garage. I envisioned a Fenway Park replica scoreboard. When I figured out how to make the scoreboard I decided I wanted to put an actual game on the board, not just random teams and random scores.
I found a website which had all box scores going back decades. This weekend I traveled to Boston with a girlfriend who landed a job in Boston after graduating. I went along this weekend before graduating to help her find an apartment. And we found time visit Fenway Park for the first time. And we did not find time to find a nice apartment because we blew all Saturday afternoon at a ballgame.
We struggled to find the ballpark. I can't remember if we drove or took the "T". I have only been to 2 stadiums prior to this. Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia and Baltimore's Memorial Stadium. They were big structures surrounded by large parking lots. Fenway could get lost if it weren't for all the people outside.
Not knowing where to sit we bought cheap tickets which put us in the bleachers. The bleachers at this time were sequestered from the rest of the stadium. We had a cub scout troop a few rows in front of us and some drunks a few rows behind. The drunks began taunting the scouts. Nothing vulgar, just fun stuff.
After a few innings this drew the ire of security. Somehow someone behind us threw a balled up paper cup forward. And that was enough to start World War III with not only security but with the Boston police.
No less than 20 cops and security rushed our section and indiscriminately started grabbing men out of their seats and hauling them off. A guy in the aisle in front of us was dragged by his feet with his head smacking every arm rest in the aisle. In front of me and behind me dozens of guys were yanked from their seats. The only explanation as to why I was left untouched is that I was with a girl.
My girlfriend, from a small town in the South, has never seen anything like this in her life.
Eventually she ended up being my wife. We both ended up in Boston. We both fell in love with Fenway. And after 20 years of marriage she allowed me to takeover an entire room to turn into a sports bar.
So I decided to make the scoreboard in the new sports bar something special for both of us.
The teams from this game are represented on the replica. The starting pitchers (Charlie Lea and Bruce Hurst) are represented. The inning by inning score is accurately represented. The paint formula took me about 10 years to find. The walls are Fenway green and the scoreboard paint is the exact shade.
There are 3 inaccuracies on the board for the time period..............

No comments:
Post a Comment