Boston Red Sox v Philadelphia Phillies June 18, 2008: A game where only one team looked like World Champions.Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia Section 105 Row 8
Driving 5 hours, situating car at train station near where I would sleep. A transvestite train conductor. Trying to hook up with the last guy on Earth with no cell phone and my ticket to the sold out series.
I was left hanging before the game alone at McFaddens, the bar connected to Citizens Bank Park.
Being alone in a bar sucks. Not knowing when your ticket was going to arrive sucked even more.
First pitch, I have no ticket and no one to hang out in the bar with.
I settle in and watch the game on the TV's at McFaddens with other stragglers or others who do not have tickets to the sold out series. Batter 1: Red Sox Ellsbury. Single to RF. Batter 2: Pedroia. Single to RF. Batter 3: Traitor JD Drew: Deep HR to left center. 3-0.
How could it get worse then the home team being down 3 zip after only 3 batters in the Top of the First?
Batter 4: Lowell. HR deep to left field. 4-0. No outs. Top of the first.
Friend shows up. He hits on a bartender gal he knows and thinks he has a shot with. Phils salvage one in the bottom of first. I'm still watching game on TV that I traveled over 6 hours to see live.
We go inside stadium. 45, 187 in attendance and not a sound to be heard.
To sum it up the part of the game I did see live; No more home runs in the game. 11 pitchers step on the mound. No Big Papi in the line up. No Manny. 3 plus hours. Sun beating down on you all day.
Also missed legendary pitcher and Baseball Hall of Fame member Robin Roberts throws the ceremonial first pitch to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of his major league debut.
Plus, the Phils wore those god-awful 1940's blue uniforms that they wear for day games.
The defending World Champs played like World Champs, taking 2 of 3 in the series on the road.
Final score 1st place Red Sox 7 , 1st place Phils 4.
No comments:
Post a Comment