Cleveland Indians v Boston Red Sox, April 12, 1989
Fenway Park, Sec 24 Row JJ
In my new job in Boston I was told to be careful of plaintiff lawyer's gifts of sports tickets as it could influence your judgment in handling a case. Pause......As long as you don't get caught.
So it's my first time being courted by the dark side. And I had no problem with it except I had to hang out with a greasy personal injury lawyer for the afternoon. I felt important until I heard later the game after opening day at Fenway was the least desirable ticket of the year (weather). And this was the day after opening day. Someone more important than me obviously sat in that seat the day prior.
The lawyer had 4 tickets but it was only he and I who were attending the afternoon game. He informed me of this outside the stadium. I suggested he sell them or give the other 2 away. His response was we would have more leg room to spread out. As a purist I was pissed 2 people were being denied a chance to watch afternoon baseball. But they were his tickets and I was his guest, so I kept my opinion to myself.
It wasn't a Fenway sellout as we are used to seeing today. Only 19,210 were on hand in the old park on a sunny afternoon.
Wade Boggs walked, Marty Barrett doubled and Ellis Burk singledin the bottom of the 1st. Mike Greenwell hit into a DP with Boggs scoring to give the Sox an early lead. In the top of the 2nd with Pete O'Brien on, Cleveland's Cory Snyder jacked a homer off Oil Can Boyd to put the Indians up 2-1.
The Sox clawed their way back with a Boggs double that scored 2nd baseman Jody Reed in the 3rd. Boggs was moved over by a Marty Barrett sacrifice bunt. Greenwell singled in Boggs. Then Jim Rice doubled to score Greenwell. The Sox did not hold on to the lead too long. Cleveland scored 3 more in the 4th with another Cory Snyder home run followed by a Dave Clark homer.
The only other ball to leave the yard was hit by Boston's Rich Gedman in the bottom of the 9th. But his effort fell short as the Tribe won the game 10-6.

No comments:
Post a Comment