Monday

Who Own the Chiefs?

Boston Univ Terriers v UMass-Lowell Chiefs, February 14, 1998

Tsongas Arena, Section I, Row 18


In 1998 Boston University's Chris Drury won the Hobey Baker Award. Drury, the most honored player in the 77-year history of hockey at BU, is the University's all-time leading goal scorer, with 113, and the third all-time leading point producer, with 213. During the 1997-98 season the Trumbull, Conn., native helped lead the Terriers to a 28-8-2 record. They won the Beanpot Tournament and the Hockey East regular-season title for the fourth straight year. Statistically, Drury finished the year leading the team in goals, 28, points, 57, shorthanded goals, 4, and hat tricks, 2.

In this game Drury scored one of his 2 hat tricks in the 97-98 season.

Technically, UMass-Lowell were no longer the Chiefs. They buckled to political correctness and bent over and changed their nickname from the proud and strong Chiefs to the sissified Riverhawks. This change occurred around the time the team moved from an on campus arena to the newly constructed (Paul) Tsongas Arena. Tsongas was a well known Democrat at the time.

I think this was UMass-Lowells first year in the new arena. The season prior I attended the BU game at their old on campus rink. The old place was a tight tinderbox with a low ceiling, loud dueling bands and wall to wall students jumping up and down on the bleachers. The paint was thick and there was some nostalgia in the old barn.

The next season, same teams, different rink, all of the excitement was sucked out of the arena.
I set this match up on my calendar as I have to travel 8 hours based on the excitement level of the year prior experience I had. Granted, Drury did score a hat trick but the atmosphere was totally void in this new arena. I never went back.

I unfortunately cannot find my previous year's ticket stub so I do not know the date in order to make a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment