Monday

Bird-less Boston

Boston Celtics v Philadelphia 76ers, February 1, 1992

The Spectrum, Section J Row 10


I lived in Boston a few years back. I loved going to the old Boston Garden. I roomed in college with the son of one of the Celtics major TV sponsors in the mid 80's, he used to get the coolest packages from his dad like green Converse sneakers, warm ups, autographs ,etc. I had a fling with a gal from French Lick, Indiana. I got daily treatment with Gerald Henderson while in college, but I never had the urge to go to the Celtics game live.

The friends I made while living in Boston were all hard core Bruins fans, they never talked basketball. People I met at a fitness club I worked at were all Celtics fans, they never talked hockey. It was almost as if you couldn't be fans of both.

So now I'm living in Philadelphia and some free tickets came my way. I would never pay for an NBA ticket. Since it was the Celtics I decided to go.

Guys like Bird, Parrish and McHale were still on the roster but relegated to backup rolls. Larry Bird was injured this night.

The Sixers dressed like clowns and were ranked 20th out of 27 teams in attendance. It was embarrassing to be seen in the crowd. They did have a Charles Barkley on the roster along with 7'6" Manute Bol.

The Sixers beat the Bird-less Celtics 126-110. Charles Barkley was the game's high scorer with 38 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment