The Clash, October 15, 1982William and Mary Hall, Sec General Admission
I just saw the band as an opening act about a month earlier in a 100,000 person venue. W&M Hall may seat less than 10,000 for a concert. A much better atmosphere. I had an NCAA championship to compete in the next day, so being bad was not an option (that was the plan). That plan didn't hold up and a member of another team who I went to the show with ended up puking all over the place on the field the next day. So, yes; We had a good time.
We were upstairs on the left hand side of the stage. The band was much more focused then what I remembered from the Philadelphia show in September. One thing I remember was a girl jumping up on stage several times to dance with the band. After a closer look I realized I went to school with the girl and was somewhat friendly with her.
It turned out The Clash really did not tour extensively in the states, so this turned out to be a rare glimpse of this great band.
The band was less then a week removed from a live appearance on Saturday Night Live, in the days when that show was still relevant. The Clash was on a short hiatus from touring with The Who. They just finished playing at Shea Stadium. They mixed in a few small college gigs as the headliner. They continued touring with The Who on the West Coast after this Williamsburg concert.
Known setlist:
London Calling
Car Jamming
Safe European Home
One More Time
The Guns Of Brixton
Stay Free
Rock the Casbah
Call Up
Know Your Rights
Junco Partner
Train In Vain
This Is Radio Clash
English Civil War
Brand New Cadillac
Police On My Back
Clampdown
I Fought the Law
Straight to Hell
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Tommy Gun
Bankrobber
London’s Burning
Complete Control
No comments:
Post a Comment