Thursday

Southside Who? What?

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, June 2, 1999

Innsbrook Pavilion, GA

Southside Johnny and the Jukes are a notorious Jersey Shore band.  They have reach elsewhere.  I recently moved from New Jersey to Virginia so I was thrilled to see Southside again.

I give credit to the Innsbrook promoters for bringing in a band to this summertime outdoor venue.
I've seen the band a number of times and the shows have always been more than energetic.

You can't fault a promoter or a city for trying.  But Richmond is a midsized media market.  But Richmond radio has always acted as if they were a small market.  It is quit possible an overwhelming majority of the attendees have never heard of the band on the radio (the days only music medium).  So you could expect thousands to be ambivalent to an energetic bar band on stage. 

What is ironic, in the late 60's/early 70's a band named Steel Mill called Richmond their 2nd home.  The band played bars all over the Fan neighborhood and the local college, Virginia Commonwealth University.  A few of the members of Steel Mill went onto the E Street Band, including Bruce Springsteen.  So it's not like Richmond is foreign to the Jersey sound.  It was just Richmond radio was foreign to any decent music.

No comments:

Post a Comment