Wednesday

Stanley Cup FINALS Game 4

Chicago Blackhawks v Philadelphia Flyers, June 4, 2010

Wachovia Center, Sec 217 Row 15

This season the Flyers needed an OT shootout in the final game of the year just to secure a playoff spot.
Then they proceeded to take a couple series to 7 games before advancing. 

We traveled into town in a pick up, set up a tent along the fence at Broad Street, unloaded the cooler, stereo and Molson Canadians and settled in for a 4 hour tailgate.  A few hours later a guy pulled up with his truck, opened the doors and started cranking Sirus radio.  Now I'm a huge fan of Sirius but tonight was a night for local radio.  The rock stations were here, the atmosphere was Philly all the way this 40 year old teenager with a jacked up pickup, amp and sub woofers overtakes the entire section with satellite radio. 

I had a life size blow up Stanley Cup hanging in the tent.  A local ESPN radio channel came and took photos for their website.  They ended up never posting any Stanley Cup Final pix. 


We went inside and sucked up the atmosphere.  CBC had their broadcast team had a stage set up at one of the entrances.  I'm a huge fan of Hockey Night in Canada so I was like a little kid watching them.

The national anthem was electric.  American TV usually runs commercials during national anthems.  Canadian TV celebrates the moment.  Lauren Hart did a rendition of God Bless America.  I never heard this barn so loud.

So the ends, the Flyers tie up the series.  The place erupted.  The eruption carried out into the concourse and into the parking lot.  After we came down the huge escalator we were still wandering around not wanting to leave.  I looked up at the escalators banks and noticed no one was on them.  People were hanging over the railing from the top level and from the luxury suite level yelling and chanting.

Then it occurred to me.  The security guard at the top stopped a single guy in a Blackhawks jersey and allowed the escalator to clear.  Then they sent him to the wolves by making him lead the crowd down the escalator.  The place went nuts booing and cursing at the guy.  I felt no remorse.  The mob ate this guy up.


No comments:

Post a Comment